Skip to main content

My Commercial

 


So here is the final project. As it was incredibly rainy and COVID-19 cases were still pretty bad, I had to recreate my ideas from the comfort and safety of my own home. I am grateful for this, however. I feel that if I had gone with my original plan, my commercial would've been entirely too long and I wouldn't have been able to convey any kind of message with it. My story was to have someone writing, their pen smudges, they go to get a different pen (it being Pentel) and using it next to the previous pen. This allowed for a comparison between other pens and a Pentel pen, which I'm very happy with how it came out on camera. The filming process was the most difficult part of this whole process. I've never had to direct others before, but with the help and patience of my actor, I was able to convey my ideas pretty well. Another thing during filming that was hard was the many ideas I had but the inability to execute them as I wanted. I had to rethink my ideas over and over again so I would get a good shot. I had plans for a tracking shot, different locations in my house, different lighting, and more, but due to the time crunch and what I actually wanted my video to look like. But, as time went on and I truly thought about it, ideas were abandoned. Editing the video was a bit frustrating. I am very new to my editing software, and because of that, I had to spend a lot of time looking up how to perform certain actions. Moreover, it wasn't until this point that I realized how short 30 seconds truly is. I had to tread a fine line between having a short, concise commercial and a commercial and felt too rushed. Overall, I'm really happy with my project. I learned so much I can use going forward into my future projects. I'm quite excited to one day look back at this project from the lens of someone who has made many more, longer, videos.

Until next time, Danniella Miller signing off :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Researching for my Music Video

Song: Tu by maye Genre: This song is categorized as latin pop. What that means is a song or artist that has significant Latin influences while still being significantly popular, combining aspects of Latin music with American pop music. Most Latin pop songs are in the languages of Spanish, Portuguese, English, or a mix of the three. Another thing that is widely found in Latin pop is a basic song structure or repeated choruses. Genre video examples: When looking at videos in the Latin pop genre, I noticed a lot of black and white imagery, giving the videos an antique and vintage feel. Another common occurrence was the use of empty stages with a plain color background. These allowed to singers and actors' clothes and actions to truly shine through without the distraction of a busy background. In maye's own video for Tu, there was a love story between the two main characters, which is also quite common to see. Relationships and love are a very popular and nearly universal feeling, ...

Filming my Pentel Commercial

 Today was the filming day of my commercial. My actor came over and we had to get right to work as we had limited time. There were a few circumstantial issues, such as the fact we were filming in the living room and we had to make sure none of my family members messed up the shot. Another issue was the lighting, as there wasn't sufficient lighting due to the constant raining and generally cloudy weather. We fixed this by taking longer shots and multiple takes, so if someone was in the background doing something that we could see we would take another shot until we got the perfect one. As for the lighting, we had to improvise by adding some lamps around the shot without breaking anything. When we got to filming we had originally planned to do a tracking shot as the actor walked up to look through some pens, but we realized it wouldn't be feasible with our current equipment. The filming process did end up being much faster than I had originally thought. This is the first time I...

Genre Research: Drama

 The Drama Genre: So in this powerpoint, I worked to analyze the genre of Drama. I went through common themes in the movies and what truly makes a movie a drama. A drama is categorized by being a movie with high stakes and several conflicts. Common lighting can include three point lighting, lowkey lighting, and high key lighting. Lighting is used to change thee feeling and the audience's understanding of a scene. Common camera angles include ducth angles, low angle, and high angle shots. These angles change the audience's perception of the movie and what's going on. It allows the audience to see the characters in a scene in a different light. it also gives the audience insight into the kind of person the character might me in a certain situation. For example, if in a verbal fight, a character is shot with a high angle, the audience gets to understand that that character is the superior in this situation. It can also help show change in characters. Going from a high angle in...