Skip to main content

Genre Research: Malcom & Marie

 What elements of the genre that you chose to base your final task on does this movie have?

I loved the tension switch throughout the movie, There were many different things going on that made the story come along and make the movie deeper. Every 10 minutes feels like we get a better look into the relationship and the characters in it. Seeing the effect each high moment had on the next low made me analyze and look deeper into what was being said between the charcters.

What elements of the genre did the movie that you like?

I loved the rollercoaster of emotions this movie put me through. I went from laughing to crying ina span of minutes. I left the movie with a better look on myself, my relationships, and the way I view the world. I love how this movie brought up so many different topics and issues that can be relatable and have anyone question  themselves throughout it. I also loved how the music flowed with what was going on, with it being digetic and non-digetic at points. Both of them helped move the movie along, but epesically the digetic music went so well with the feeling of the movie and escalated things so much more. The framing of some shots made the movie feel so much deeper as well. Especially close up shots as the two main characters fought. Getting to see what the other was feeling, even through the music they chose, made me feel a deeper connection to them. 

What elements of the genre did the movie have the did not appeal to you?

The lows of the movie felt so extreme. I think it's more of me disliking the screaming and cursing than anything, but it felt like more could've been expressed through actions than words. Another thing I didn't like was how long the silent part near the end went on. I feel like nothing really important was show and the story didn't seem to progress. I wish there was more balance throughout the whole movie.



Signing off,
Danniella Miller


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Researching for my Music Video

Song: Tu by maye Genre: This song is categorized as latin pop. What that means is a song or artist that has significant Latin influences while still being significantly popular, combining aspects of Latin music with American pop music. Most Latin pop songs are in the languages of Spanish, Portuguese, English, or a mix of the three. Another thing that is widely found in Latin pop is a basic song structure or repeated choruses. Genre video examples: When looking at videos in the Latin pop genre, I noticed a lot of black and white imagery, giving the videos an antique and vintage feel. Another common occurrence was the use of empty stages with a plain color background. These allowed to singers and actors' clothes and actions to truly shine through without the distraction of a busy background. In maye's own video for Tu, there was a love story between the two main characters, which is also quite common to see. Relationships and love are a very popular and nearly universal feeling, ...

Filming my Pentel Commercial

 Today was the filming day of my commercial. My actor came over and we had to get right to work as we had limited time. There were a few circumstantial issues, such as the fact we were filming in the living room and we had to make sure none of my family members messed up the shot. Another issue was the lighting, as there wasn't sufficient lighting due to the constant raining and generally cloudy weather. We fixed this by taking longer shots and multiple takes, so if someone was in the background doing something that we could see we would take another shot until we got the perfect one. As for the lighting, we had to improvise by adding some lamps around the shot without breaking anything. When we got to filming we had originally planned to do a tracking shot as the actor walked up to look through some pens, but we realized it wouldn't be feasible with our current equipment. The filming process did end up being much faster than I had originally thought. This is the first time I...

Genre Research: Drama

 The Drama Genre: So in this powerpoint, I worked to analyze the genre of Drama. I went through common themes in the movies and what truly makes a movie a drama. A drama is categorized by being a movie with high stakes and several conflicts. Common lighting can include three point lighting, lowkey lighting, and high key lighting. Lighting is used to change thee feeling and the audience's understanding of a scene. Common camera angles include ducth angles, low angle, and high angle shots. These angles change the audience's perception of the movie and what's going on. It allows the audience to see the characters in a scene in a different light. it also gives the audience insight into the kind of person the character might me in a certain situation. For example, if in a verbal fight, a character is shot with a high angle, the audience gets to understand that that character is the superior in this situation. It can also help show change in characters. Going from a high angle in...